We’ve read some great posts over the last year of things you should to your daughter instead of simply complimenting her on things related to her looks. Truly it is up to us to make sure our daughters grow up knowing that they are worth more than just what they look like on the outside. So much more.
I couldn’t help but reflecting on the things that I say to my daughter that make her face light up like fireworks on the fourth of July and share them with you.
- I LOVE Hanging Out With You – Any child likes to hear this from their parent as often as possible, but this one single compliment encompasses so many wonderful things that have nothing to do with how they look on the outside. This tells them you think they’re interesting, funny, entertaining, kind, and so much more.
- You are SO creative – My daughter holds her drawing and story writing skills in very high regard. And she completely gets that being “creative” is one of the best things a person can be. So I know when I choose that particular word it gives her a real boost of inspiration.
- You are such a hard worker – This can be used for anything your child is working on in school or at home. My kids know how much we appreciate hard work, so they know how much we love to see them working hard at a picture, homework, or chores. I can see the huge surge of pride in my daughter’s face when I say this to her.
- What do YOU want to do? – This may seem obvious, but nothing gets my SheHero more excited then when I come out of the kitchen and ask her to pick something to do. A craft, a book, a game, whatever. We should all make a habit of doing this more often, especially as the chaos of the school yea sets in. Letting them choose activities shows them that you value what they like, what they do and who they are.
- I’m so happy you’re you – You can never tell your SheHero (or Hero) that you love them for just being them enough times a day. By loving them for who they are and reminding them that we do, we are planting the seed to help them love themselves for who they are, as they grow older.
What are some of the things you say to your child to boost their confidence, make them feel good, or just let them know you love them?
Disclosure Message: While the aim of this post is focused on the young SheHeroes in our lives, don’t forget our wonderful and amazing boys need to hear these things too!
And remember, Today is Day of the Girl! Make sure to visit the Day of the Girl Website for more ideas on ways to celebrate!