Forget Valentine’s Day and St. Patrick’s Day! Our favorite day is February 22nd, “Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day”! We are so happy to help spread the word about the movement started by our friends at National Engineer’s Week. If this is the first you’ve heard of it here is a rundown from their website.
For the past seventeen years, women engineers have introduced more than one million girls and young women to engineering. More than just one day, Introduce a Girl to Engineering is a national movement that shows girls how creative and collaborative engineering is and how engineers are changing our world.
What better to celebrate than by introducing the SheHero in your life to the awesome world of engineering? So here are a few tips to help introduce all the SheHeroes in your life to engineering!
- Visit the Engineer’s Week website for a list of resources that include books and websites to help inspire girls to get excited about engineering.
- Visit Some Local Engineers near you. Ask around on your Facebook feed or other parents at your kid’s school. Chances are you may know and a woman who is an engineer who just might let you visit her work or enjoy having a chat with the girls in your life about being an engineer.
- Check out this list of what schools, organizations and communities all across the country are doing to mark the event. If you don’t see any event local to you, plan one on your own.
- Get together with your girls and enjoy some fun engineering experiments at home.
- We here at SheHeroes know a few female engineers. Celebrate Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day by checking out some of our interviews with some engineering SheHeroes who have inspired us!
You can find many more ideas by visiting EngineerYourLife.com. And if you’re a female engineer don’t forget to inspire a young girl today!
How do you plan on Introducing a Girl to Engineering this week? Share your ideas in the comments below or come on over to our Facebook page and post your suggestions on our wall.